Thursday, September 15, 2011

Inside The Kilns

We regularly pass CS Lewis' home, the Kilns, on our walk to the nature reserve. Last Saturday, Oxford had an "Open Doors" event and the Kilns was one of many locations open to the public at no charge. We took advantage of the opportunity...
This sign hung outside The Eagle and Child during the years CS Lewis and Tolkien frequented the pub.

Lewis would sit at this bay window to write. The desk/articles were not his.

This typewriter is the only original article on show at the Kilns. It belonged to Lewis' brother Warnie who used it while working as a secretary for CS Lewis who, we are told, did not type. 

Ahhh...the views.


I want to replicate this garden one day.


1 comment:

  1. Whenever I see the Kilns, I think, "If I lived there, I could be a really good writer, too." It isn't true, of course, but it is nice to think about. These are great pictures!

    ReplyDelete