After visiting the Cathedral, we strolled up Winchester's High Street.
 |
| High Street |
 |
We turned left at the Westgate, a fortified medieval gateway that was used as a
debtors' prison for 150 years. |
 |
| After we walked through Winchester Castle's passageways, we entered the Great Hall, all that still stands of the medieval building. Henry III added the Great Hall in the 13th century. |
 |
| What are they looking at, you ask? |
 |
| King Arthur's Round Table: The table was constructed in the 13th century, and thus cannot be the legendary table. It was painted for King Henry VIII and has the names of King Arthur's knights around the edge. |
 |
| The table, made of English Oak, is approximately 18 feet in diameter and weighs 1200 kilograms. When used, it would have been positioned between the center columns. |
We veered off course on our trip home to visit Stonehenge.
Stonehenge is the coldest place I've ever been. I'm so glad to see you smiling! That was how I discovered that I could never be a northerner.
ReplyDeleteI want to see that!
ReplyDelete