Thursday, June 21, 2012

Birthday in London

We went to London to celebrate Blair's 32nd birthday.
First on the agenda, the Tower of London.

I've selected a few pictures from MANY. I highly recommend a trip to the Tower if ever you're in London. We joined the cattle call and were herded around by a Yeomen Warder. The group was large, but the tour still worthwhile as the Beefeater shared many interesting, and often gruesome, facts about the history of the Tower which began with William the Conqueror.

Construction of the Norman White Tower was underway by the 1070s and completed by 1100 AD.

Our guide, Jim.

Queen's House was built for Anne Boleyn by Henry VIII. She was later executed on Tower Green. Lady Jane Grey resided here before she was removed from power and then executed. Also, it was here that Guy Fawkes was forced to sign a confession of his participation in the gunpowder plot.

Chapel Royal, place of burial for many of England's infamous characters including Anne Boleyn, Catherine Howard and Jane Grey.

The Tower has served as many things in its long history including a Menagerie, hence the wire statues.



Graffiti inside the Beauchamp Tower which housed many important prisoners.  Most of the graffiti was carved between the 16th and 17th centuries during a period of religious and political upheaval when the Tower of London became the country's foremost state prison.

Many a "traitor" came through these gates.

The fam

Poppies in St James's Park

Having a wee rest in the park.

I took this photo while the boys played Pooh sticks.

Changing of the Guard - this was an unplanned sighting.
Nick suggested dumplings for my birthday meal, because I've loved them since my visit to China. Good dumplings are hard to find. I did a little research and decided we'd try Jen's Cafe in Chinatown. Reviews for the dumplings and value were superb. Atmosphere and service were somewhat lacking. At least we knew what to expect.
We were originally seated at this table with another gentlemen. Glad he was a fast eater!

The boys watched one of the ladies make dumplings.

Good-bye, London!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing birthday! Wish we could have shared it with you. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to go!! I love London and can't wait to go back!! Happy Birthday!!! I know you had a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete