Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Misadventures in Stirling

We had an eventful outing to Stirling yesterday. Among other things, I learned that traveling with 3 young children, a double stroller, a single stroller, and some gear is not easy when buses, trains, hills, and lots of stairs are involved. Still, we had a great time.  


Nick and the boys checking out the view near Stirling Castle.


Lunch break in the Bowling Green. The garden was beautiful. 


These guys loved the cannons!

Caleb was enjoying the view (and probably trying to squeeze through the rails).

 The big boys take a break while...
Caleb takes a snooze.
Sitting on an inner wall of the castle adjacent to Douglas Gardens. It was really windy.
The Royal Palace
View of Stirling from the castle with the Wallace Monument in the background.
Below are photos of the Church of the Holy Rude. The church is nearly 600 years old and has original oak roof beams. John Knox preached here at the Coronation of James VI in 1567.
We hopped a bus to Stirling University and walked to the Wallace Monument. Nick wanted to purchase a shirt that said: "I walked 246 stairs up and down the Wallace Monument carrying two kids." Oddly, they don't make those shirts. 
William Wallace's sword is massive. I can't imagine lifting the thing much less wielding it.

A view of Stirling Castle from the monument.

Another beautiful view of Stirling.

Nick and the boys at the top. The wind was brutal.
Cooper walked the entire spiral staircase to the top. He was such a trooper! I had to carry him down.

The staircase is rather narrow. Poor Nick (still carrying two kids) had to stop when we had nearly reached the bottom while a huge group passed. 

Notice the ominous rain clouds? The rain didn't start coming down until we reached the bus stop at the University, and it stopped before the bus arrived. We are so thankful we had a beautiful, dry day to tour Stirling.

2 comments:

  1. Y'all earned sky miles climbing the momument. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the castle, the monument and the gardens in Stirling. I'm glad you are seeing everything.

    ReplyDelete